On July 24, 2020, The New York Immigration Coalition and other groups filed suit against President Trump in response to his "Memorandum on Excluding Illegal Aliens From the Apportionment Base Following the 2020 Census." Other defendants include the Secretary of Commerce and the Department of Commerce as well as the Census Bureau and the Census Bureau Director. Plaintiffs argue that the President's Memorandum violates both constitutional and federal statutory requirements that all persons be included in the official state population counts, regardless of their immigration or citizenship status. Plaintiffs also allege that the President's Memorandum is motivated by an intent to discriminate against Hispanic and immigrant communities, thereby implicating equal protection and due process concerns.
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York ruled that the Presidential Memorandum is unlawful and enjoined the federal government from implementing its directive.
The case was consolidated with New York v. Trump on August 4, 2020, and was appealed to both the Second Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court on September 16, 2020. To view documents on the Supreme Court case, No. 20-366, see New York v. Trump.
On January 13, 2021, the court granted the Defendant-Appellants' motion to voluntarily dismiss their appeal following the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in New York v. Trump.
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York - 1:20-cv-05781 [together with 1:20-cv-05770]
- Complaint - 7/24/20
- Statement of Relatedness - 7/24/20
- Order - 7/28/20
- Motion to Intervene - 8/3/20
- Motion for Order to Show, Motions for Preliminary and Permanent Injunctions - 8/3/20
- Memorandum in Support of Intervenor Plaintiff's Motions for Order to Show Cause, for Declaratory Judgment and Injunctive Relief - 8/3/20
- Letter Addressed to Judge Jesse M. Furman from AUSA Allison Rovner - 8/3/20
- Memorandum Opinion and Order - 8/4/20
- Order - 8/4/20
- Notice of Motion - 8/14/20
- Defendants' Reply in Support of their Motion to Dismiss - 8/28/20
- Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction - 9/10/20
- Errata Order - 9/14/20
- Notice of Appeal - 9/16/20
- Defendants' Motion for Stay of Judgment Pending Appeal - 9/16/20
- Defendants' Memorandum of Law in Support of their Motion for Stay of Judgment Pending Appeal - 9/16/20
- Notice of Appeal - 9/18/20
- SCOTUS Case Number - 9/29/20
- Order of Dismissal - 1/15/21
- USCA Mandate - 1/19/21
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit - 20-3142
- Notice of Appeal - 9/16/20
- Defendants-Appellants' Unopposed Motion for Abeyance - 10/9/20
- Order - 10/16/20
- Defendants-Appellants' Unopposed Motion to Dismiss the Appeal - 1/12/21
- Mandate - 1/13/21
- SCOTUS Opinion - 1/13/21
Supreme Court of the United States - 20-366
- To view these documents, see New York v. Trump.