After the Connecticut General Assembly failed to enact a congressional redistricting plan by its deadline, map drawing authority passed to the Connecticut Reapportionment Commission, which was required to adopt a final congressional plan by November 30, 2021. The Commission failed to meet this deadline, and on December 2, 2021 the Commission filed a petition with the Connecticut Supreme Court seeking an extension of time to allow them to complete their congressional redistricting process. Specifically, the Commission requested the Court grant them until December 21, 2021 to complete congressional redistricting.
On December 9, 2021 the Court issued an order granting the Commission their requested extension, giving them until noon on December 21, 2021 to complete congressional redistricting. As part of its order, the Court required the Commission to file an interim report no later than December 15, 2021 updating the court on the status of their redistricting process and including the name of three individuals to serve as a special master should the Commission fail to adopt a plan by their new deadline.
The Commission failed to meet their December 21 deadline, so on December 23, 2021, the Court appointed Nathaniel Persily as Special Master and ordered him to file a final redistricting plan with the Secretary of State by February 15, 2022.
On January 18, 2022 the Court's Special Master submitted his recommended plan, an alternative plan, and report to the Court. On February 10, 2022 the Connecticut Supreme Court issued an order adopting the Special Master's recommended congressional plan and directing that the plan be filed with the Secretary of State, thereby ending the case.
Connecticut Supreme Court - No. S.C. 20661 [formerly No. S.C. 210153]
- Petition to Remand to the Reapportionment Commission - 12/2/21
- Notice - 12/6/21
- Order - 12/9/21
- Interim Report - 12/15/21
- Order - 12/16/21
- Republican Commissioners' Proposed Special Masters - 12/21/21
- Final Report of the Reapportionment Commission - 12/21/21
- Order - 12/21/21
- Order Appointing and Directing Special Master - 12/23/21
- Response to Motion for Reconsideration of December 23, 2021 Order Appointing and Directing Special Master - 12/27/21
- Order - 12/27/21
- Brief of the Reapportionment Commission Democratic Members Martin Looney, Bob Duff, Matthew Ritter, and Jason Rojas in Support of Congressional Redistricting Plan Submitted to Special Master - 1/4/22
- Substitute Brief with Corrected Map Submitted to the Special Master by the Republican Members of the Connecticut Reapportionment Commission on the Congressional Redistricting Process - 1/6/22
- Response of the Reapportionment Commission Democratic Members to Redistricting Plan Submitted by Reapportionment Commission Republican Members and Maps Submitted by Connecticut Republican Party - 1/7/22
- Reply Brief Submitted to the Special Master by the Republican Members of the Connecticut Reapportionment Commission on the Congressional Redistricting Process - 1/13/22
- Report and Plan of the Special Master - 1/18/22
- Notice of Filing - 1/18/22
- Brief Submitted by the Republican Members of the Connecticut Reapportionment Commission - 1/24/22
- Brief as Amicus Curiae Submitted by the Reapportionment Commission Democratic Members in Support of the Report and Plan of the Special Master - 1/24/22
- Notice - 1/25/22
- Final Order - 2/10/22