The Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana on behalf of the Louisiana State Conference of the NAACP and two African-American voters. The lawsuit alleges the map used to elect Louisiana’s seven state Supreme Court justices is discriminatory against African-American voters in violation of Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act. Plaintiffs seek declaratory and injunctive relief and request that the district boundaries be redrawn. The Defendants filed a Motion to Dismiss in light of an ongoing consent decree from the Eastern District of Louisiana related to the state’s supreme court districts, arguing that the Middle District Court lacked jurisdiction over the Supreme Court districts because the consent decree left jurisdiction solely with the Eastern District Court. This Motion was denied on June 26, 2020.
On October 19, 2020, the court granted Defendants' Motion for Certification of Order for Interlocutory Appeal of the District Court's June 26 order, but denied the Defendant's request to stay the case while the interlocutory appeal was pending. On November 19, 2020, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit granted the Defendants' Motion for Leave to Appeal from the District Court's Interlocutory Order.
Oral argument was held before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on June 10, 2021.
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana - No. 3:19-cv-00479
- Complaint - 7/23/19
- Status Report - 9/5/19
- Defendant's Motion to Dismiss Plaintiffs' Complaint - 10/4/19
- Motion to Dismiss by Defendant - 10/4/19
- Plaintiffs' Memorandum in Opposition to Defendant Louisiana's Motion to Dismiss - 10/25/19
- Plaintiffs' Memorandum in Opposition to Defendant Ardoin's Motion to Dismiss - 10/25/19
- Defendants' Reply to Opposition to Motion to Dismiss - 11/7/19
- Defendant Louisiana's Reply in Support of its Motion to Dismiss - 11/8/19
- Ruling and Order on Motion to Dismiss - 6/26/20
- Plaintiffs' Brief in Opposition to Defendants' Joint Motion for Certification of Order for Interlocutory Appeal - 8/7/20
- Plaintiffs' Brief in Opposition to Defendants' Joint Motion to Transfer Venue Under 28 U.S.C. 1404(a) or, Alternatively, the First-to-File Rule - 8/7/20
- Ruling and Order - 10/19/20
- Order Granting Motion for Permission to Appeal Filed by Petitioners State of Louisiana - 11/25/20
- Status Report - 12/2/21
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit - No. 20-90042
- Answer in Opposition to Defendants-Petitioners' Petition for Interlocutory Appeal - 11/16/20
- Order Granting Defendants-Petitioners' Motion for Leave to Appeal from an Interlocutory Order - 11/19/20
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit - No. 20-30734 (Allen v. State of LA)